Monday, October 25, 2010

Getting to know Jan Irving

Tell us a bit about your latest book, and what inspired you to write such a story.

My latest book just out is Jesse, a contemporary western from Loose Id. I wanted to do a May/December romance of a hard working ranch foreman, Kyle Jacobs, and Jesse Coulter, a twenty year old who takes a job working for Kyle—he’s in love with him, even though Kyle was once his older brother’s lover.

What are you working on now? Anything you want to tell us about?

I’m working on A Barley Moon, a paranormal western contemporary romance. Rafael Coulter is a cougar shifter and ranger who lives in the mountains, sheltering a band of misfits. When dedicated teacher Angel Stone arrives at his door with a young boy he claims is Rafael’s son, Rafe is not happy. He doesn’t want to be a father, but Angel may not give him a choice. I’m also working on an unusual m/m/f ménage which I think will be a lot of fun.

What books are currently on your nightstand/bedside? Anything coming you are dying to read?

I’m anticipating reading J.C. Owens’ The Emperor’s Wolf. I read the other stories by this author and enjoyed them. I am also reading Nora Roberts Black Hills.

If one of your books were to be made into a movie, which book would you choose and who do you see playing your characters and why?

I think probably The Janitor. Maybe a young Colin Firth as Noel, the shy graduate student who falls for boxer and janitor, Dane. Dane would be played by Ian Somerhalder. Why it would be a good film is Dane is a very endearing hero who winds up in the boxing ring at that climax of the book.

What is your favorite pizza toppings?

I sometimes go hiking on a small island with a fantastic wood fire oven pizzeria. My favorite is olive oil, cracked salt and fresh rosemary, only that.

Which do you prefer:Mac or PC? 

PC. I’ve never used a Mac.

What’s the worst thing you’ve ever done to one of your characters?

I think probably when I killed a father figure one of my heroes loved deeply. But I had to do it.

Which of your books contains the sexiest love scene? (if you have one that is J)

That’s a tough question. I usually like whatever one I’ve done most recently. I think it would be a tie between Mastering Toby and Jesse. There is a threesome in Mastering Toby and in Jesse, the first kiss leads to a pretty explosive scene.

Which of your covers is your favorite?

Very tough question. I think I’ll have to go with April Martinez’ cover for my first book The Janitor. It’s riveting.

Which of your books was the easiest to write? 

Most recently Jesse was the easiest because I wrote it in a white heat over six weeks. I didn’t work on anything else except for edits of other material during that time, really swept away.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?

Sometimes the endings are very hard. I sometimes add something to them later, like with Luke, I added an epilogue a few months after I finished the novella.

Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?

I write under Jan Irving but it’s not quite my full name, so there is a degree of separation.

Where can readers find you on the ‘net for more information on you, your books and other fun stuff?

My website: www.janirvingwrites.com


Sneak Peek Excerpt: Jesse by Jan Irving
Loose Id Publishing
M/M Contemporary Western


When Jesse Coulter roars up on a Harley one dusty afternoon back into ranch foreman Kyle Jacob's life, Kyle is confronted with everything forbidden he has wanted for years. Jesse is twenty years old, with a ruff of dark hair and blue eyes that remind Kyle of the heart of a lit gasoline flame, yet Kyle can’t let himself touch Jesse because not only is he too young, he's the brother of Kyle's lost lover Mac.

That they also share an uncanny telepathic bond hasn’t made things any easier for an ordinary working cowboy; Kyle is drawn into Jesse’s dreams of him as the hot older man Jesse holds captive, pleasuring him every night with Jesse’s raw man-takes-man brand of lovemaking. But Kyle and Jesse face other problems to their unconventional romance. Jesse has custody of his vulnerable younger brother who aches for a stable home, and an enemy from Kyle’s past is threatening not only his beloved draft horses and carriage business but the new life and family he yearns for.
Publisher's Note: This book contains explicit sexual content, graphic language, and situations that some readers may find objectionable: BDSM elements, male/male sexual practices.


Excerpt:


When Jesse Coulter roared up on his battered Harley, a dust cloud a high plume behind him, Kyle ducked behind the bunkhouse on the Double M Ranch.

Ducked, hell. Here he was, the foreman, and he was hiding! He pulled off the leather gloves he'd been wearing while working in the horse barn and wiped his damp, shaking palms on his dusty jeans, tears burning his eyes.

Jesse.

He couldn't stop himself from taking another look at the young man as he removed his motorcycle helmet, his dark brown hair still cut short, but spiky at the front. His lean face was on the long side, with a trace of early beard on his chin, adding the texture of manhood to his olive skin. But it was his eyes that made Kyle feel like he'd taken a punch, eyes the pale blue flame of a lighter flaring in the dark.

His lover Mac's kid brother. Kyle had missed Jesse intensely, an ache in his gut.

Kyle hadn't seen Jesse since the day of Mac's funeral. He squeezed his eyes shut, remembered pulling up in his truck at the ranch that terrible day, Jesse and his younger brother, David, crammed together in the passenger side, Jesse looking at Kyle so Kyle could see his bewilderment. Why had Mac died?

"Jesus, kid, I don't know." Kyle's voice had broken as he undid his seat belt. It'd been an accident. Looking for reasons… He couldn't help doing it too while the clock ticked in his empty bedroom.

Jesse had helped the dazed twelve-year-old David out of his seat belt from habit. They'd all stumbled from the truck, the boys wearing black jeans and T-shirts because there'd been no time to purchase suits for Mac's funeral. Suddenly David had thrown himself into Kyle's arms.

"He's never coming back," he’d whispered.

Holding on to David, rubbing his back, Kyle had felt lost. He had been forty-one, and he'd felt lost. He'd stared at Jesse, at the single tear that tracked down his cheek before dripping off the edge of his jaw. "Jesse," he had whispered, aching to give comfort. Kyle took a deep breath and tried the other way to communicate with Jesse, to offer him what solace he could.

"Jesse, I don't know why Mac's gone. It doesn't make sense."

Jesse's jaw ticked, and for a long moment Kyle thought he wouldn't make use of the strange telepathic bond that linked them. Hell if Kyle understood it, but from the moment Mac had brought his younger  brothers to the ranch, Kyle had been able to pick up on Jesse's thoughts sometimes.
"I have to take care of David. How do I do that?"

Jesse's voice sounded like everything that made him Jesse. Like his love of tinkering with engines at school, like a fork of lightning before connecting with a tree.
 "You and David will always have a home here with me. We'll find a way to stay a family, I promise you.”

Buy Jesse here: http://www.loose-id.com/Jesse.aspx

6 comments:

Sondrae Bennett said...

Nice Interview...although now I'm craving some authentic wood fire oven pizza. Too bad there are no places like that near me.

Scarlett Parrish said...

I just got The Janitor last night! Heard really good things about it.

Jan Irving said...

Sondrae, the weather here is chilly and rainy but honestly, I often find myself going over for a hike just to get the chance of one of those pizzas!

Jan

Jan Irving said...

Scarlett, thank you. I hope you enjoy the book!

Jan

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan,

Welcome to the blog. :) Loved the interview. Never had Wood fire oven pizza. Sounds like a must have now. LOL

Dawn

Jan Irving said...

Hi, Dawn, thank you for having me. Oh, I hope you get the chance sometime. It's a good thing for my diet I'm not too close to a place offering it, lol.

Discover Cursed Wolf by Sophie Ash

  Cursed Wolf by Sophie Ash (Howling Death MC) Publication date: March 29th 2024 Genres: Adult, Paranormal, Romance   Synopsis: If the...