Monday, March 21, 2011

Guest Author Day with Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy


Can you tell me a bit about your most recent release?

LOVE TATTOO is a fun, sweet, sexy fast paced book.   I got the idea one late night on the highway when I noticed that most of the other traffic consisted of big trucks.  I thought that trucking would be a great occupation for a vampire and then little Texas girl Cara Riley got into my head.  The combined result became LOVE TATTOO.

For any readers who may not have read any of your books, can you just give us a little sneak peak into world (i.e. the type of genre you write, type of stories you like to write....etc)?

I write romance.  The first two novels are both paranormal but I have others upcoming that are romantic suspense, time travel, and contemporary romance.   In short fiction, I write a lot of speculative stories, some that have appeared or will later this year in anthologies.

How much of yourself, if any, do you put into your characters?

I put a lot of myself into my characters but they’re all composites so none of them are completely based on me – or anyone else.  Those closest to me can often pick out a memory or trait.

How do you keep sex scenes fresh and exciting so they don't become stale or repetitive?
 It can be challenging at times.  I often worry about having the characters do the same things too often and I watch very close that I don’t repeat the same words or phrases.  Writing my sex scenes probably take me the longest because I write slow with very careful consideration and thought.

If you could throw a party with any five people (living or dead) who would you pick and why?

I would love to meet Will Shakespeare so he would be on the list.  So would country rockabilly singer Johnny Horton because I love his music.   I would also include Elvis Presley,  Tommy Makem (another favorite singer) and Padraic Pearse.   The common denominator is that I love all their creative work and that they’re men.  I really love men and most of my friends are men.

What are at least five things you have on your bucket list and have you done any of them?

Going to Ireland (which I have not yet done) is at the top of that list.
Standing on the stage of the Louisiana Hayride (which I have done!) in Shreveport, LA
Visit my cousin who now lives in Thailand
I would like to spend a week in some lovely remote spot with an ocean view – alone
I would like to own a restaurant and work in it hands on

Do you listen to music when writing? Do you feel like some stories write themselves a soundtrack with specific music? If so, what book and what kind of music influenced it?

I love music so yes, I listen when I write.  What I listen to is often geared to what I am working on at that time.   I have a release out in May 2012 from Champagne that involves Elvis and so I listened to him all the time I wrote it so yeah, definite influence on that one.

What is coming up for you in 2011?
So far, I have three more releases lined up – romantic suspense title KINFOLK  coming in July from Champagne Books, LOVE NEVER FAILS, a contemporary romance in September from Rebel Ink Press, and A TIME TO LOVE (time travel) from Champagne in November.
I hope to have some more titles out from Evernight Publishing this year too.

Are any of your characters just like you or have personality quirks/traits of you or someone you know?
None are just like me but they all have a little bit of me somewhere.   I draw on my own personal experience to create characters but they are all composites.

Where can readers find you on the web?

I’m on Facebook (Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy), on Twitter as “leeannwriter”, I have a website:




And a blog:


Sneak peek into LOVE TATTOO

One kiss, once chance encounter detours Cara Riley from her last shot at a Nashville career when she meets sexy truck driver, Shakespeare quoting Will Brennan.




Shakespeare, quoted at a God-forsaken rest area along Interstate 40 somewhere in Arkansas  before daybreak, had an immediate effect on my heart.   Any man that could quote the Bard without cheating or peeking at a book impressed me and in this unexpected setting, he had  me.   Romeo’s words, his aside as he watched Juliet dither around up on her balcony, had a heady and intoxicating quality but I was no Juliet, no thirteen year old virgin pining for love.
I had my big girl pants on so that I could get to Nashville and sing for my supper.  I had been before and did nothing but turn around for home, beaten and defeated.  This time should be different.  I planned it, I saved up money from my nothing job, and I had studio demos.   I had contacts in the business and even a room to rent in my best friend Sheena’s grandmother’s duplex.   Everything was set for me to make one more run at stardom before I gave up, got married and fat, had three or four kids, and sang karaoke on my nights out on the town.
 All my ambitions shifted in that moment and dissolved like a pair of discount store shoes in a flash flood.
I tried to think of something to say, some quote of Juliet’s that might fit, or just something, that would sound sophisticated or at least cool.
What came out of my mouth was, “Who are you?”
He pulled hard at the cigarillo one more time and tossed it. His laughter sounded like church bells ringing or a steel guitar played by someone who knew how to make the thing sing.
“I am either your worst nightmare or your salvation.” That voice purred like a happy cat on a comfortable lap.  “My name is Will Brennan and it is a pleasure to meet you.”
He told his name so it seemed like I had to give him mine.
 “I’m Cara Riley.”  I stuck my hand out to him to shake but instead he took it in his then bent down over it to kiss it.  Both his fingers and his lips felt cold to me but I figured it was just that hot summer morning.  No one ever kissed my hand before, ever, and I liked it.   Will did it with graceful, suave moves more suitable to a nobleman at a royal court and not the truck driver I guessed he must be.
 “So, Cara Riley, we have met,” Will said, “That’s the first step in getting acquainted.  We should move onward to the second.”
“Which is?”
 That question sounded dumb coming out of my mouth and I knew it when I said it.
“This.” Will Brennan told me in that lush voice that made me feel the same way that the best hot chocolate laden with real cream did down deep inside just before he kissed me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a busy writer you are! Congratulations on the releases.
Liz Arnold
Message to Love
The Wild Rose Press

Discover Cursed Wolf by Sophie Ash

  Cursed Wolf by Sophie Ash (Howling Death MC) Publication date: March 29th 2024 Genres: Adult, Paranormal, Romance   Synopsis: If the...